We are all pretty stressed right now, and its not always clear when your body is tense. This exercise will teach you to recognise and reduce muscle tension.
You can relieve tension in any part of your body just by tensing and relaxing each muscle in turn. Follow these simple guidelines for an easy way to melt the tensions away.
So, get yourself comfortable, either by sitting in a comfy chair, or on a cushion on the floor, and follow these instructions:
- Close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Slowly breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Start by clenching your toes as much as you can for a few seconds then releasing them. Notice the difference between the two feelings.
- Match this to your breathing. Tense your muscle as you take a deep breath in, and relax as you breathe out.
- Move up your body to your thighs, your stomach and all the way to your shoulders and hands, clenching and relaxing each muscle in turn. Take time to notice any parts of your body that feel tense, tight or tired. You can repeat if you still feel tense.
- Take a moment to relax, then slowly and gently begin to move. When you feel ready, you can stand up slowly.
If you have any physical injuries or conditions that may cause muscle pain, don’t tense the muscle in that area.
Following this exercise, your whole body should feel relaxed and ready to take on the day.